Sunday, December 28, 2014

Merry Christmas and Happy Hogmanay!

Well folks, Christmas has come and gone, but one thing remains: a large stomach. And no, I'm not referring to Jill's pregnancy (although I'm sure I will refer to it like that more often in the future). I had far too many goodies that, for some reason, have yet to leave me alone. Alas, such is life.

But enough about Christmas rolls (too soon?). Let's get on with what we did for our first Christmas as an old married couple!

First, last Tuesday, I received my printed and bound copy of my finished thesis. That means I'm finally done! I. Am. A. MASTER! It was a long time coming, but now my thecal matter is officially available to the researching world. Who knows, maybe somebody will read it one day.


On December 24th Jill and I took the front runner up to Salt Lake with James and Megan. We brought some games to play as we rode, which was great because a) we didn't have to drive and b) we got to play games.

Monopoly Deal. I pwned them n00bs.

We had a delicious meal at the Cheesecake Factory (which looked nothing at all like a factory, might I add). Then, we took a stroll through Temple Square, admiring all the lights and nativities they had set up.




The next day was, of course, Christmas.

I also need to point out the weather we had been having. Warm weather and no snow. Except when we woke up on Christmas morning IT HAD SNOWED! It's a Christmas miracle!

Anyway, on Christmas morning we got up and opened up our stockings. Then we made breakfast.

Out of focus selfies are the best.
Eggnog french toast, scrambled eggs, sausage, hash browns, and Tim Horton's Hot chocolate.
Then it was time for PRESENTS!

The tree looks bigger from this angle.
Basically, we had the best time giving each other gifts. I mean, yeah, it was great to get the biggest, fattest book on the planet (so excited to start reading it, too), but the simple act of giving was the best bit of the day. We were both so excited for the other as we excitedly exchanged gifts. I could have been happy not receiving anything, just as long as I could still give things to Jill (but now that I have all the things let's not go back in time and change that, okay? Okay.). But Christmas was a very special day for us, as I'm sure the first Christmas usually is for new married folk.

Ahem. Anyway...

We had dinner at Jill's Grandma Forsgren's place (with James and Megan) and then played games with James and Megan that night. Good times were had by all.

And then, of course, since there was snow on the ground, we went out the next day to make a snowman. Unfortunately, the snow wasn't that great, so we decided to be inspired by Calvin and Hobbes and create a special kind of...unfortunate snowman. This was the outcome:

That snowman has quite the butt.
It didn't really look anything like Calvin's, but hey, it never hurts to have a metal pole growing out of your head. Unless, of course, it does...

And so that was Christmas (and a few of the surrounding days). New Year's is just around the corner, so in farewell for now, I wish you all a very merry Christmas and, as the Scottish would (and will) say, Happy Hogmanay!

No comments:

Post a Comment