Monday, August 18, 2014

Dumpster Diving

Do you know what newly weds do when they're bored?

Dumpster dive.



Ok we weren't bored but we really did go for a swim in the deep blue trash bin. It all started with a mail in rebate card we got from the wedding. I was filling out the rebate receipt to get $30 bucks (that's a lot of money for a young couple) when we realized we needed the UPC off the box. Then it dawned on us that we through the box out the day before.

So being as poor as we are we ran down to the dumpster praying that the box would be just on top. We poked our heads over the edge and saw a few boxes of ours and figured it must be close to the top. So Ben, being the nice husband that he is, jumped right in that smelly thing and started to dig.

We didn't really think before we went down to the dumpster but it was 2:00 in the afternoon on a summer day in Utah, and before you knew it Ben was sweating like crazy. I mean he sweats in our apartment with the AC on, so just imagine him in a big metal box digging through trash in the middle of summer. Wow, what a guy. I watched helplessly from the side as giant beads of sweat rolled from his forehead, to nose, and onto a bag of trash.

He went at it for 45 minutes and STILL didn't find it. He literally moved every piece of trash in that dumpster and it wasn't there! We are convinced that someone stole it because everyone needs a Kitchen Aid box just for fun. Even though we didn't find the box I still sent in the mail-in-rebate with a note explaining that we had thrown away the UPC and even went dumpster diving to find it. Maybe the Kitchen Aid company will have compassion on us. :)

But we didn't let this ruin our new toy. Oh no! We enjoyed a nice batch of cookies instead. I also came to realize from this experience how hard working my husband is. What a catch! The good life we have goes on in the Kocher family. :)

3 comments:

  1. Your story brings back memories of dad and I dumpster diving--that is how we got our first couch (: It was a little embarrassing when our home teacher came over and said, "Hey, that used to be ours." LOL (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy cow! You two are nuts! I should have warned you that you would need the UPC from the box (that's why I didn't redeem the rebate myself. Yes, I considered it:) I thought giving you a gift with a hole in the box would be tacky. I hope the Kitchen Aid people have a heart:) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Ben, with all your experience dumpster diving, I'm surprised you didn't find it. ha ha

    ReplyDelete